ABOUT THE COURSE
Starting this coming Fall, we will offer a set of free online courses sponsored by the Hewlett Foundation to help educators use innovative assessment practices – instructionally-focused formative assessment and curriculum-embedded performance assessments for deeper learning. The MOOCs will focus on instructional improvement and student learning related to both the academic standards and the English Language Proficiency standards. Participants can develop competencies in two strands:
Strand A – Formative Assessment: Focus on Student Language
- Constructive Classroom Conversations: Analyzing Student Language through Formative Assessment (October 4 2016 to January 9 2017)
Participants will develop a practical understanding of classroom conversations, listening closely to student-to-student discourse and using a conversation analysis tool to inform future instruction.
- Learning as Evidence: Improving Argumentation through Formative Assessment Practice (Begin in February 2017; Register NOW!!)
Participants will use a range of practical tools for gathering and analyzing language samples that show how students currently construct claims supported by evidence and/or reasoning.
Strand B – Building and Using Performance Assessments
- Designing for Deeper Learning: How to Develop Performance Tasks (October 4 2016 to January 9 2017)
Build educators’ capacities to understand and develop performance assessments that consider language and fit local contexts.
- Designing for Deeper Learning: How to Implement and Improve Performance Tasks (Begin in Februray 2017, Register NOW!!)
Build educators’ capacities to select, adapt, implement, and improve performance assessments that consider language and fit local contexts.
Each of the four courses will take approximately 30 - 40 hours of learning time. Successful completion of the assignments for each course will result in a “Statement of Accomplishment” which can be used by systems to recognize professional development units or, if graduate credit can be awarded, through the local granting institution.
WEBINAR RECORDING AND RESOURCES
- 5/25 - Overview of the courses: Watch the webinar, download the slides, and read the Frequently Asked Questions
- 6/28 - Setting up a successful hybrid MOOC model: Watch the webinar, download the slides and the hybrid model organizer
- 8/9 - Digging deeper into fall course content: Watch the webinar, download the slides: language and assessment, Strand A content, Strand B content)
- 9/20 - Navigating the MOOC platform, NovoEd: Watch the webinar and download the slides.
- Download course syllabus: Constructive Classroom Conversations: Analyzing Student Language through Formative Assessment, Designing for Deeper Learning: How to Develop Performance Tasks
NEW!! If you are a district/school facilitator and would like to request facilitator access to prevew course content prior to the start date, please sign-up at: http://bit.ly/2cqutF0